Monday, March 11, 2013

Some links to LA History Stories

Here are some excellent Los Angeles history stories for your enjoyment. I find myself sooo short of time these days (a common complaint with everyone, lately) so once again I am sorry I'm not posting more. The good news is--other people are posting, and they've got some great stuff up!

So in no particular order:

  • Who took the oldest picture of Los Angeles?  I think I actually put the photo at right on this blog once, but Nathan Masters of KCET has done some research to try and figure out when it was taken and what it shows. The story and picture of LA's old plaza in the mid-19th century made my day. (The library dates it as 1857, but that's by no means written in stone.)

  • Another KCET story by Nathan Masters (I envy him his job!) is "When LA Was Empty." This is a whole series of black &white shots of LA, the Valley, Hollywood, bicycle races along the dirt road called Western, and more.

  • In fact, just go here to see a list of all KCET's posts about early & mid-20th-century Los Angeles!

  • Alissa Walker's AWalkerInLA blog has a great post on our city's early subways. Photos from the 1920s through the 1940s complement the pictures she took when she toured the old Subway Terminal Building last July.

  • Dwell featured this article on the preservation of Rudolph Schindler's 1938 Bubeshko Apartments in Silver Lake--now that look at it, the author is Alissa Walker. The presentation includes a couple of slide shows. The picture below, though, is from the You-Are-Here website.

No comments: