Monday, February 25, 2008

Stan Laurel at Forest Lawn

The picture at left is of Laurel & Hardy in The Music Box, a film in which the duo moved a piano up a 133-step stairway at on Vendome Street, just across from Del Monte Drive. The steps are still there.

On February 26, 1965, this chapel (The Church of the Hills at Forest Lawn Memorial Park in Hollywood) was the site of Stan Laurel's funeral.

Dick Van Dyke delivered the eulogy. People like Hal Roach (Sr. & Jr.) and Buster Keaton were there, as well as big names of the 1960s, and lots of movie folks we never hear of. Wikipedia reports that Laurel wrote his own epitaph: "If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to him again."

Van Dyke said that during his last hours, Laurel said to the nurse who cared for him at his Santa Monica apartment, "I wish I was skiing."
The nurse said "Oh, do you ski, Mr. Laurel?"
"No, but I'd rather be skiing than doing this."

No comments: