Since a thousand-pound piece of stucco fell last February, just missing the roof of Encounters (the restuarant), the Theme Building at LAX has been off-limits to diners and tourists.
BUT . . . Encounters reopened to serve lunch and dinner this week, 11 am to 9:30 pm. Those hours will hopefully be extended as reservations start pouring in.
LAX started as Mines Field in 1928, but commercial airliners didn't use it until 1946. The current terminal complex was laid out in 1961, with the 2.2 million dollar Theme Building as a centerpiece.
A previous post gave specifics but this picture bears repeating. It's the 1959 rendering of the Theme Building, conceived by Perreira and Luckmann.
This picture is dated 1960, during construction.
The flag-waver is Don Belding, President of the Board of Airport Commissioners.
And finally, below is an aerial shot of LAX in 1962. The United Airline terminal is on the right.