Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Pedigree'd Homes Going Unsold

In an online writing group, a recent thread wanted fantastical answers to the question, "What would you do if you won the lottery?"

Answers were predictably cavalier: hire a 24/7 chauffeur and/or hairdresser, keep a penguin colony in the basement, buy a sports team. A couple of good souls brought up causes and give-backs, bless them. But an LA Times article has answered the query for me. If I hit the lottery, I'd buy Ennis House. (I'd opt for the 24/7 chauffeur too because parking and traffic would be murder.)

Yup, Ennis House is for sale. In case anyone missed the glut of stories over the last week, a couple of Frank Lloyd Wright homes, as well as livable sites by Shindler and others, have been on the market for months. Prices have been cut to the bare bone--did you know you could pick up a 1937 Richard Neutra condo for $675,000?

Now that impressed me. It's one thing to hear that the Ennis House price has been slashed--slashed--from $15 million to $8 million. $8 million might as well be a million gazillion to me. But $675,000, while not a number I can afford, is at least something I can wrap my head around.

The condo is one of the Strathmore Apartments at 11005 Strathmore, in case you're interested and in a slightly better financial situation than myself. Orson Welles once lived there. Check it out here.

No comments: